Friday, May 14, 2010

Unique and Charming


I love to learn about the differences between countries and cultures around the world. I've bemoaned (belabored?) the fact that Costa Rica has become in some ways more American. I love my own country, but when I travel, I prefer to leave our commercialization behind as I observe and enjoy the unique and charming culture of a foreign destination.

As the world becomes smaller and more connected with satellites, cell phones, and Internet communication, some of that which makes a country unique and charming can get lost in the rush to the future. But in our recent visit to Costa Rica, I was pleased to note that one interesting feature of this country has remained. It's something that I noted as a traveling youth there almost four decades ago--postal addresses.

Most places around the world have pretty standard street addresses: a house number with a street and maybe a neighborhood designation. House numbers may be used in Costa Rica, and some people even use a post office box. But if a letter is addressed to a physical address there, it might resemble how a stranger gets directions. Here's an example, translated (note that a "vara" is roughly one yard): From the Golden Pig, go 50 varas north and 100 west. Papaya-colored house. Unique. An address familiar to me years ago translated to: Llobet Lots, 25 varas to the west of Daniel Vargas' workshop. Charming.

Over the years, the Llobet development expanded, and I learned that sadly, Daniel Vargas is gone from this earthly realm. But that address still has kept some of its charm. It is now just Llobet lots, the fifth street. This simple address (that hints at a simpler life), along with the addressee's name is enough for a letter carrier to complete the task.

The other day, I ran across a Costa Rican document for a prestigious organization. It had a professional letterhead across the top. At the bottom of the document, there was a hint of Americanization, but it also showed a resistance to change. The address of this organization was something like this: From the Pizza Hut, go south 200 varas, then west 150 varas. And if the Pizza Hut gets bought out by Starbucks, or if they ever build a Wal Mart there, I hope that at least the address will remain unique and charming.

2 comments:

  1. Nobody uses varas anymore, but I heard that when people talk about 100 meters to mean 1 block, it's really 100 varas, because blocks were (supposedly) 100 varas long. A vara is, someone told me, .8 meters long, while a yard is .9 meters long. Nowadays a vara is like stuff or thingamabob (who says that anymore). Or a lie. "Son varas" means that's a lie or that's BS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess you can tell I have one foot rooted firmly in the past (like a living fence post). That, plus the fact that I was only back in CR for a week; not long enough for more educated observations. At least I didn't say that everyone goes around saying "Estas p'al tigre!" Thanks again for the enlightenment. Wish I could be there longer to be able to offer more educated observations. But then again, I can count on you (Ticus Maximus) for that!

    ReplyDelete